Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Late Night Addictions

I've determined that being a night person is quite a serious addiction for me. I believe it is as intense as any drug addiction and has many of the same side effects. First of all, I know it's not healthy for me. More often than not it means I miss out on valuable sleep when I stay up late because there are things that require me to be up early (namely appointments, or taking my kids to school) and when its daytime I think myself an utter fool and feel less than great because of my lack of sleep. And yet when it becomes night again there is something very seductive for me that lures me into staying up longer, and longer, and longer still. Further, I know that I'll regret it later, but this knowledge still fails to deter the behavior. There has even evolved a physical reaction, similar to a high, that occurs in my body to being awake at late hours. This physical "high" has led to many late night cleaning frenzies, admittedly this is when I feel most like cleaning my house, or embarking on any other project. My body has adapted to staying up because this has been my habit for as long as I can remember. I have memories of my dad sneaking into my bedroom to tell me to go to sleep in the middle of the night when I was not past 5 years old when all my siblings were sleeping in the room around me. One of my younger sisters reminds me of "exclusive celebrations" she and I would have in the middle of the night, just to celebrate a new month.

For the past year I have been seeking to metamorphose myself into a morning person (well this has been a wish for several years but lately an increasingly larger goal), and have made some progress, but again feel like a struggling addict. With the slightest slip, or taste of late hours, I feel overwhelming temptations to slip back into my old late-night-self, I too frequently succumb to such temptations and begin anew the struggle within myself to transform into a creature of the morning. I'm tempted by anything really...a project, hanging out with people, folding laundry, cleaning, cooking, catching up on emails, my blog... And so here I am at 1:00 am writing about battling my addiction rather than sleeping. ;) On that note, I will bid you good night...or rather good morning to all you morning people.

6 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

I've never been a morning person, and I don't see the benefits of becoming one. Winter time convinces me that I'm supposed to be up and about in the dark (at night). I think you got it right. Don't change, just because everyone else is addicted to getting up early. ;)

sassley said...

That is so my life story. I have the same memories of when I was little. My Mom says that I have never been a good sleeper. I have always loved the nightlife. It is so hard to convience myself to go to bed even if I am tired. I just love the quite house and I love getting so much done. Wayne has always hated it and tries to get me to come to bed with him each night. It's this stupid game of "No you come to bed with me" "No you stay down here with me". Most nights I am in bed by 12 but I still get weak and just want to have my nightlife. I hope to get over my addiction someday too. Good Luck!!

sassley said...

That is a "quiet" house not a quite house. I hope to someday be a good speller too.

Serin said...

lol as Ashley. I love to stay up at night because that is the only peace and quiet I get. I regret it when Riley wakes up as soon as I start to fade off and drool. :p

Romi said...

Franzi: Thanks for the affirmation. ;)

Sassley: I know what you mean, I can be insanely tired, but then suddenly everybody is in bed, the house is quiet, and it calls to me to linger just a little while in the peaceful quiet.

My dad maintains that the more ways you can spell a word, the more creative you are. ;)

Serin: I think I would be even *more* addicted were I in your shoes. Lots of little ones running around, even one for that matter, I think would lead me even further down the path of staying up to cherish the peace and quiet. My hats off to you!

Maria said...

Time Zone Phenomenon: Romi is in the Alaskan time zone and I have just moved to the east coast. I have just recently converted to a morning person because my work hours changed. So, now I go to bed between 7 and 9 to get up at 6 in the morning. It is a wonderfully invigorating feeling to wake up early and see the sunrise as I drive to work, when I have spent my whole life waking to a full sun in the sky.

Footer