I just finished Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. I found it a fascinating book, with interesting twists and turns in the plot, and marvelous characters. I wondered to myself during the book why I found it so dull in 7th grade when we had to read some sort of abridged version from a text book. I wondered if the wording was changed, or maybe some of the plot was lost...or perhaps I have matured a bit in my span of interests and depth of understanding. :P I venture that there are elements of all three involved. Nevertheless, I very much enjoyed the book and would highly recommend it if you haven't read it. I must warn you though, if you aren't interested in books that are sad or tragic, you probably would not like this one.
As I pondered on the sadness of much of Pip's (he's the main character by the way) life, caused by both circumstances and poor choices, it reminds me of the tragic events (some quite recent) that have occurred in the lives of a few members of my family. It tears my heart out to see people I love experience pain and heartache. I wish I could take it all away for them and fix all their problems, but alas I am powerless to do much besides offer compassion and a listening ear. As I compare such adversity to the misfortunes that happened to Pip (as well as other players in "Great Expectations"), I look at how it shaped his character and eventually made a difference in his choices and his heart. Because of the growth he experienced, it would seem that such tragedy is not for naught, but sometimes I still wonder at the price that must be paid to gain those gems of character. Do you think that "the refiners fire", as it were, is the only way to glean the moral jewels found in the hearts of people who have endured great trials? Is there no other way to cultivate character? What are your thoughts?
3 comments:
oooohhhh, what a deep post Misty. I've wondered about that a while ago myself. Why is it that we only seem to learn from hard and sad things, yet our purpose in life is to be happy. It seems like a contradiction.
Yet, I've come to appreciate the pain I feel at times, mainly because I figure it allows me to see how deep my bonds with other people are. The more it hurts, the greater the love. It makes my feelings more tangible and visible to me. :( Sorry about the hardships...is everyone ok???
franzi- I guess time will tell...and with time I'm sure all will be well. :/ Thanks for your concern.
Post a Comment