Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Some Solutions:

Thanks for all the ideas and sympathy.

Rob came home with a few ideas (I was more distraught about this than my own transfer problems back in the day...ironically, he ended up cheering me up):

In order of his preference:
Best: see if the crappy community college here (that IS accepted by other Utah schools) will take any and get an Associates from them.

Second: see if there is another correspondence program that would be better recognized (like Wayne said).

Third: (like Diana suggested) go on to get a Bachelor’s (after first making sure it’ll be accepted by the Master’s programs that he’s interested in) from U of P and then transfer. (It’s worst to him because of his discovery of how poor their rep seems to be…but ultimately it achieves his objective: a Bachelor’s degree.)

2 comments:

Paula said...

Pres H said to get an education - not a degree ;)

Anyway, I just realzed that my comment never posted yesterday - so here it is:
Last week I saw the following on Roeanne's frig:
“Things will work out. Keep trying. Be believing. Be happy. Don’t get discouraged. Things will work out.”
by Guess Who? (Right Pres H!)

Henry said...

well, I've had to jump through a few hoops when I transfered to BYU. They are quite picky with where you get your degrees from. I don't think it's bad, to say the least. Since the level of quality varies so greatly from place to place, I think it's just one way to assure that those they accept are ready to take on the load coming their way.

As another comforting thought: BYU wasn't accepting me at first, because I didn't have the equivalent of a high school degree to them. So, I had to attend LDS Business College first, and then was allowed to transfer. Needless to say I kicked trash once at BYU. My point here is, even if Rob would have to start from scratch, if he actually knows his stuff, he could probably test out of a lot of classes, and take big loads of GE classes, and maybe redo the whole thing in 2 semesters or so. If he learned what he needs to know, he definitely didn't waste time, and even with a worst case scenario could really speed things up.

It worked for me, because I knew far more from my German education than the average high school graduate did, and so most of my GE classes were a breeze!

Things will be ok somehow I'm sure.

FRan

Footer