At the last minute ML and I decided to take the kids on their first flight and take advantage of a weekend special to Phoenix. ML wanted it to be a big secret and surprise the kids with the news at the last possible moment…well by last possible moment I’m thinking that means as we’re heading out the door to the airport…nope. He had this elaborate scheme to fool them all the way to getting on the plane!!
So we got up in the morning (having packed all night while they were asleep) and told the kids we had to run daddy somewhere. They didn’t ask questions, just hopped in and went along for the ride (I guesss??). While we were waiting for ML to check in and get the boarding passes BR looked up to see if there’s a flight to Phoenix. After finding one he said to me, “That would be really neat if we could fly to Phoenix, rent a car, and drive to Tucson and sleep there in a hotel”. (I’m thinking, “Maybe we shouldn’t have made all of these arrangements on the floor in the hall outside the kids’ door!!”) I quickly tried to dismiss that idea telling him it’s a great idea, but we’d have to save for a long time first because it would be really expensive. :P (I don’t think he bought it, he just looked at me and nodded and then looked away with a sparkle in his eye.)
While in line for the security screening, ML briefed the kids about what they had to do with their shoes/jackets etc. and that he got them special passes to go through the security area and back to the plane. All the while we kept making comments to each other about how we’d miss each other and all that…except I’m pretty sure they just went right over their heads, because they were so busy looking around and checking everything out. While we were in line ML opened up his carry on and ML spots her little Hello Kitty journal and some of her other things we’d packed and she wants to know what it’s doing in his bag. So the tangled web was further developed. :P “Well, MC, we didn’t want you to be bored while we waited for daddy to get on his airplane.”
MC with her "not getting bored waiting for "daddy's" airplane kit"
We finally made it through the line and headed to the gate. As soon as we found D5 BR looked up and it and shouted, “PHOENIX!?!?! Dad gets to go to PHOENIX?!?! No fair!!” After that he headed straight for the windows and climbed up on the ledge to watch the planes take off, land, and do whatever else they do out there. He stayed there most of the time. However, at one point he came back and sat by ML and was making comments that sounded like he knew what we were up to :P so I figured our game was about up…but no. ML got out his phone and dialed and started talking. It took me a minute to figure out it was a bogus call and he was pretending to check in with his dad and tell him the kids and I would be out there to ride home in about 15.
BR watching all the planes do their thing.
So when they started boarding, ML asked them if they wanted to see the inside of the plane. They sure did!!! We got on and ML ushers BR into row 12 (where BR and I had seats) and then to MC and he went back to theirs on row 31. (I’m not sure what happened with MC after this but ML told me she said she knew the whole time). :) BR was SO intrigued by every little button and gadget, and by the view out the window as well. After a few seconds I asked him if he was ready to get off and he ignored me, he still had stuff to check out. I asked him again and he quietly said that he was. So then I asked him if he’d rather sit down and stay on the plane and he sweetly said, “Yes”. I told him okay, we would stay and he laughed and told me that he knew I was joking. After inquiring why he thought I was joking he told me that he knew we were going back home because grandpa was still at the airport. I showed him the boarding pass and that we had seat assignments and he was thrilled beyond speech…almost. He loved the flight, every minute of it. Every few seconds he’d nudge me to point out something he could see, or something the plane was doing (ie. accelerating, ascending, etc.). It was such a joy to fly with him because of his obvious relish of the whole experience!! It was like being a kid again and experiencing it all for the first time all over again!

Oh to be a kid again!!
Once we landed and he stood up to get ready to get off the plane, he noted how fast we’d gotten there and how warm he felt already and then he said, “This is my style!! HEAT and SPEED!!”
We got our luggage (which MC and BR insisted on pulling…they probably looked like our little slaves) ;) and headed to get a car. We went through Dollar Rental because we know they offer Dodge Chargers in the Full size category. (Chargers are about as cool to ML as Dodge Magnums…I definitely prefer the Charger, to me the Magnums look like a glorified station wagon.) However when he went to pick up the car he saw the sign said: Full size: Dodge, Charger; Dodge, Magnum; or Crown Victoria (gag). He promptly asked if any Magnums were available (of course), but they said all they had were Crown Victorias (GAG). What could he say?? Well as he was loading in our suitcases a guy pulled up in a Titanium Grey Dodge Magnum, fresh from the car wash, and ML promptly asked if we could take it. We could. ( Boy was he ecstatic!! And hey, If my honey is happy, then I’m happy as pie…even if it means riding in a “manwagon”). :)


ML exploring all the ins and outs of his "manwagon". :)
8 comments:
So did they know the plan all along? or not?
Your surprise trip worked much better than ours! We were going to surprise the boys with a Disney trip and Mitchell got diabetes 3 days before we went.
LOL that's a great story! Glad that they enjoyed the experiance. :) (and that YL got his man wagon lol)
I am so with you Ben HEAT and SPEED are also my style. If I can afford to fly I will. Sounds like the kids loved the plane ride.
Mom - I think that Ben had a pretty good idea what was up but my phoney call (pun intended :)) threw him off.
Serin - Yes I enjoyed my man wagon!
Ju-I am so with Ben "heat and Speed" are my stlye too!
Ju-You might not think so if you spent a summer in Arizona. Too much of a good thing, for sure!
How fun was that! I was excited for them!
Post a Comment