Monday, January 28, 2008

"I'm the boss grandpa"

So, for a few months now, we've been leaving BR and MC home alone for short periods of time(much like Wayne and Ashley) and they've done really well so far, but I still feel the need to rehash with them all the do's and don'ts so they'll be safe. And I've learned with BR that he takes things very specifically and doesn't have a great knack at generalizing everything yet. He'll follow instructions to the "T" as long as he feels like they apply to a situation, but doesn't really extrapolate how they fit in with any other circumstance. Because of this I try to think of every possible scenario that might arise so that he can know how to handle it. Well, I forgot one this past week. My MIL and I decided to leave the kids home for a few minutes while we ran to the post office and a store. We left the kids doing their chores and plans to play the wii afterward. (Which they did!! Once again I'm reminded that they don't posses any of my genes...discipline?? when parents are gone?? the FIRST thing I would have done was turn on the TV or wii (if we'd had those back then)!!) We reminded them not to open the door for anybody, what to do in case of emergency, etc. etc. and we even taught them a new one that I hadn't thought of before,(thanks to the inspiration of Wayne's blog) we made sure MC knew what to do and who to call in case BR was hurt. Well about 20 minutes after we leave MIL gets a call from FIL (or Grandpa). He's just gotten home and the first words out of BR's mouth are, "Grandpa, I'm in charge." Lol. I guess grandpa doesn't rank high enough to relieve him of his "authority". :)

5 comments:

Serin said...

LOL

(You don't blog for days and now I have 3 posts to catch up on!)

sassley said...

That is funny!! That works out well because if it's the grandpa I know then I'm sure he was happy to not be in charge. It's been nice to have our boys stay home alone for little bits of time. It is also somewhat scary. I polled all of my friend who have teenagers and asked them when they first started letting their kids stay home alone. Everyone said at about 10 but just for short periods of time. I guess they have to learn independance at some point and I do feel that Mitchell is old enough to start taking on more responsibilities. When I was 10 I was babysitting all the neighbors kids. Which now seems CRAZY!! Times have certainly changed.

Justin and Diana said...

That is hilarious. When you were talking about BR following everything to the tee, I was reminded of the Amelia Bedila books that I used to love when I was a kid. Especially when they asked her to "dress" the Turkey and she made it a little outfit!

sassley said...

Ameila Bedila I loved those books. Like when she was asked to prune the hedges and she stuck prunes on the hedges or stamp the letters and she stamps them with her feet. So funny!!

Romi said...

I love those books too!! I bought one in college because I still love 'em. :P My kids appreciate the humor of them as well, but I think not to the fullest extent, esp. BR because, like you say, he's more like her than he knows. ;)

Footer