Monday, November 19, 2007
"That which we persist in doing"
On Saturday I was watching BR do his chores and marvelling about how far he's come since we first started teaching him how to sweep, vacuum, do the dishes, etc. And I was reminded of the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, “That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased.” I noted to myself how true this quote is and that my children have proved it to me. I then continued thinking about this quote and had further insight that I'd never had into this concept before. I thought of it in context of some of my less glorious habits, like nagging at my children, and how it remains just as true for negative behaviours as well as positive. So, I persist, for example, in nagging at my children then this behaviour becomes easier, if you will, or more ingrained, my power to nag increases. The habit soon becomes second nature to me, and is continually harder and harder to break. Knowing this, I now have resolved to reverse that process and choose a positive behaviour with which to replace the negative one, and work to make the positive one second nature. If I persist in finding something to praise my children about, rather than nag, then that behaviour will become easier because my power to praise will increase....now to put it into practice. :-P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm so glad you have a blog now, this is fun!
I liked that post, I need to persist in good things too!
Look what you've started, Serin! Now we just need Mom to start one and we'd all be up-to-date.
I just told Mom that she needed to start one. Of course, she needs to start *reading* them first!
Yay! I'm glad you have a blog too! I feel like I've been so out of touch with you for SO long it's nice to see what you're up to and good to see that you're happy and doing well!
I am so excited to hear from you. I love these blogs. It is the best way for me to stay in touch with people. I think your house is so cute!
Thanks for the invite, it is fun that we are all blogging. I wanted to invite you to mine but I had an old email address for you. Paws sent over an email with your current address so I was excited to send an invite your way. Your blog is so pretty I need to find a way to pretty mine up. Excited to see you all this week!!
Post a Comment