Monday, May 10, 2010

On the Bright Side

Paula and I were back in the laundry room tonight working on our Mother's Day present to ourselves (organizing that room...it's already so much nicer!!!!!) when we heard several rapid rings of our doorbell. We thought it was probably Ben or Molly just playing. When we emerged from the laundry room we saw Rob out by our car with our neighbor from across the street looking at my car and pieces of it scattered on the ground. Molly said she thought somebody had broken into my car. I walked out there and my neighbor told me that somebody had run into my car and driven off. We could hear distant tire screeches a few streets over. A few seconds later a big black truck came careening around the corner back towards us. Our neighbor identified it as the truck she'd seen leaving our car all messed up. I couldn't figure out if he was drunk/crazy and coming back for more or if he was feeling remorse for driving off and coming back to talk to us. However it soon appeared that neither was the case for he suddenly turned right into the alleyway that runs behind the houses across the street. I told Rob he should chase him down and get his license plate number. Rob and I ran to get his shoes. We could hear tires screeching again from behind our neighbors' houses. Just has Rob was shoving his shoes onto his feet, the black truck returned again from the alley he'd gone down. I was still unsure of what to expect from this guy. He surprised me though by calmly pulling to the side of the road behind my car. He got out and apologized. He said he'd just reached down to grab his cell phone and didn't know exactly how he ended up side-swiping my car. There was an off-duty cop visiting our next-door neighbor. He came out and called one of his other cop friend's that was on duty. The guy was given a citation.



We all decided that it could have been much worse and that we are VERY grateful that nobody was hurt or out in the street when he passed by.....This experience was not so dramatic as my accident almost a year ago....but it makes me wonder....what's up with May?? Maybe my cars should take a sabbatical every May. :P

2 comments:

Serin said...

Oh man! What a Mother's Day present! :( Why the heck was the guy careening around and screetching tires if it was truly an accident and he was just reaching for his phone? And why didn't he stop right away???

I wonder if another accident means another baby for you? ;) (Maybe not quite yet thought...)

Romi said...

My thoughts as well, Serin. It still seems strange to me, but he was so humble and contrite and kept saying how he's 37 and never been in an accident before. I had a hard time asking such questions after that. I probably should have though.

Footer