Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Prodigal Sheep

A few weeks ago Ben leaned over to me during church and told me that he had to give a talk in primary that day. I told him that it was kind of too late to plan a talk but gave him my scriptures and told him to just find a scripture, read it to them, and tell what he thinks/feels about it. He told me he wanted to talk on baptism so I helped him find a scripture on baptism. But after reading it he handed me back my scriptures and told me that he'd decided to tell the parable of the Lost Sheep. I asked him if he knew it and he assured me he did. (I realized he probably did because he reads either the New Testament or the Book of Mormon reader pretty much every day but was still very curious to see how it would turn out.) :)
Rob and I went and sat in the back of the primary room during senior primary opening exercises and waited with baited breath to see what he'd say. When it was his turn he stood up and calmly said, "I'd like to tell the parable of the Prodigal Sheep." He then went on to relate the parable of the lost sheep, quite well in fact. He even included, in his own words, the part where Jesus explains the meaning to the pharisees (I think...Ben could tell you). :) However, at the end of the narrative he looked over at us and so I mouthed "in the name of Jesus Christ, amen" to him because he'd recently born his testimony in sacrament meeting and forgotten that part. Ben divined what I was mouthing to him but must have been not quite sure because he said, "in the name of Jesus Christ, amen" but ended it like a question, and sat down. :)

Despite our amusement we were really proud of him! :)

2 comments:

Serin said...

Good for him! I hate writing talks for Primary :p

Henry said...

hahaha. I like the prodigal sheep idea. I mean, if it is a lost sheep that comes back, it can be prodigal somehow, right?

Fran

Footer