Saturday, February 9, 2008

Is there an OPPOSITE to the mom of the year award??: Confessions of a poor, pitiful mom

I think I would get that after yesterday!!!

Yesterday, being Friday, I really needed a break and decided to just veg and do something completely non-productive and pointless. :) So after cleaning up a bit and then blogging for a while I decided to get out the wii and play a game that ML got for me a while ago. I've been thinking of this game lately and wanting to get it out because of all the talk about wii's and such. It's called "My Word Coach". (A game that my kids (and probably my nephews) wouldn't look twice at, but since I love words and language so much, I get a kick out of it.) :) Anyway, so I start playing this game and then my phone alarm goes off to remind me that I need to go pick up my kids from school. Yes, I need an alarm to remind me to pick up my kids (most days I don't, but some days I get so distracted that I lose all track of time). Well, my kids are currently participating in an 8 week "Fun Friday" after school program where they stay until the normal let out time (Let out time: 3:15 pm. Pick up window: 3:15 to 3:30.) (MC chose dance and PE and BR chose Art and PE.) So when my alarm goes off I look at it, remember the later pick up time, shut off the alarm and resume playing the game. I played a little of everything but I got playing this tetrus-like game (but with a word twist) and got so engrossed that I lost all track of time :/ and when I suddenly came to my senses and looked at the clock it was 3:37!! I start panicking and frantically running through the house trying to gather my purse, shoes and coat and get out the door (worrying the whole time what's happened to my kids...it was so late I was sure they'd have called from the office wondering where I was...so I'm going through all the possible senarios (good and bad) in my head). Just before I scoot out the door I get a call from the office saying that my daughter is there wondering if I was picking her up or, tactfully trying to give me a plausible excuse, if I'd made other arrangements. I tell them that I'm on my way and how dreadfully sorry I am and that I'd lost track of time and how I'm off because I forgot to set a reminder for the unusual Friday pick-up time. I'm sure this lady is thinking "What kind of mom needs a reminder to pick up her poor kids!?!? Yeah, exactly!! My poor kids! Who forgets to pick up their kids?? Because they were playing a lousy game?! Like I say, I'm the prime candidate for the Non-mom of the year award. I wish I could chalk it up to being only a dream where I forgot about my kids, but then wake up and realize I'm not such a bad mom after all.

4 comments:

Wayne said...

That's my worst nightmare. I often times will set 4 or 5 alarms when I absolutely have to get up. When I went to Bonaire I had to get up at 3 am. I literally set 8 alarms so there was no chance I would sleep through them and miss the trip.

Justin and Diana said...

I'm sorry I don't think that is grievous to take the title from me! At least you know yourself enough to know you need an alarm--even if you do ignore it!:)

Paula said...

I assume they were still there when you got there and they didn't dissapear into thin air - or worse yet go straight to ...pergatory? You're still a great mom in my book!

Anonymous said...

You're not a bad mom. It's just that when we're kids we think our parents are, and always were, perfect. Then it's our turn to be parents and we realize that we're still the same alarm-setting, game-playing humans that we were before we had kids. And then comes the realization that are parents aren't perfect and never were! And then the circle is complete...

Footer