Sunday, February 17, 2008

Advice, Recommendations or Comfort for My Poor, Sick Boy?? :( (Or his paranoid Mom?)

My son, BR, got sick on Valentines Day. I thought maybe it was all the junk they have at school parties but pretty soon we could tell that it's some kind of virus or something. I must admit that I'm a worrier. I try convincing myself that worrying is not going to change the end results of a situation one bit, except that I'll be a bit more tied in knots than before. So anyway, this is the source of my wondering and worrying this weekend:

BR has had a fever (between 101 and 103) since Friday, he's very tired, and he doesn't want to eat much!! (The eating part is the most alarming because my kids ALWAYS want to eat and they eat as much as their dad!! Especially BR. He loves almost every dish or food he's presented with and gives lavish praise for the dinners I make, ahhh, he knows the way to my heart.) :) AND over the past few days he's developed this strange dry cough. This morning he just kept coughing and coughing, but it didn't sound like he was trying to cough anything up.


I guess it's probably something that just has to pass, and I hate going to the doctor/ER etc. just to have them look at you with the "why in the world are you so paranoid?" look, but at the same time I ask myself "what if, what if"? (I can see myself now as the mom of an infant!! yikes! I need to chill out!)

Anyway, if anybody can give me any help, advice, recommendations, etc. I'd really appreciate it!! (The only thing we've done is give him children's Tylenol, vitamins, zinc, colloidal silver, sore throat tea, and lots of rest and liquids.

8 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

A bronchitis can cause a dry cough, and often sounds like a deep cough coming from the lungs (because that's where it's coming from). If he has a 103 fever, which is pretty high, loss of appetite seems normal. I wouldn't worry too much because right now a mean "flu-looking-like" virus IS going around ( I read that on the news). Inhaling can help with the cough and just clearing out sinus. Basically bring water to boil, pour in a good amount of salt (so the vapor smells kinda salty), put a big towel over the pot, and have BR stick his head in there and inhale the vapor for 10-15 minutes. Drinking lots of water can help bring a fever down, but if a fever of 103 persists for more than 1-2 days, I'd definitely go and see the doctor.

There's my little bit of advice. I hope that helps.

Paula said...

What she said!

Paula said...

Tell BR that I'm sorry he's sick :(

sassley said...

I don't have any grand advice, just sending my wishes that he gets well soon. I hate it when my kids are sick. It breaks my heart. :(

Serin said...

I'll ditto Ashley. I hope he's feeling better (and you too!)

Justin and Diana said...

Ju - Sounds like that same thing me and our two kids had at Christmas time. Good Luck, we were sick for two weeks. I hope Ben's doesn't last that long!

Anonymous said...

Emily was sick with a flu-like virus (fever of 103.3 and cough). She had the fever off and on for almost 4 days and was very listless. I actually did take her to the doctor and he said there really wasn't much he could do. We just had to wait it out, but I did put the Vicks vapor rub on her feet at night and that helped her to sleep better. Good luck. Hope he feels better soon!

Allison said...

Misty, your post made me feel SO good - my 7 month baby had a fever of 104.1 last night (now it's gone down to 102.1), but you were describing how you were feeling and it made me laugh because I am the EXACT same way. I just keep thinking "what if" and everyone around me is telling me to chill out - she'll get better....but of course I keep waking up in the night every hour to go in and make sure she's still breathing and that she's ok. And then a doctor friend told me to give her tylenol & motrin...and then I'm paranoid that I'll accidentally give her an overdose so I triple check the amounts before I give it to her....what can I say Misty, there's no hope for Moms like us - we'll always be paranoid :) I hope your son is feeling better by now!!

Footer